Campbeltown Heritage Centre is a museum and heritage – and is the main repository for social history for the Kintyre Peninsula from around 1700 to the present day.
The centre stands on the site of the Gaelic Free Church. Built in 1868, it was believed to have come as a numbered kit by sea from Beuvais in France.
Because of the striking alternating colour scheme, it became known as the ‘Tartan Kirk”. The Chuch closed in 1990 when the congregation amalgamated with the Lowland Church in Longrow.
In 1995, the Church was transformed into the Heritage Centre, reflecting the wealth of local history and becoming a haven of music and drama. The building retains an attractive “rose” window in the West gable.